Former Mets OF Eric Young Jr. will get a chance to compete for a job on the Atlanta Braves this spring. He will be battling Trenton Thunder alumni Zoilo Almonte for the chance to platoon with Jonny Gomes in left field.
Young, 29, managed to steal 30 bases for the Mets last year despite a dreadful .229 batting average and .299 on-base percentage.
I’m not sure that Young will make the team, but if he’s wearing an Atlanta Braves uniform when they play the Mets I bet Young will haunt his old club.
The travels of former Mets reliever Gonzalez Germen are over… for now.
Since the end of last season, Germen has belonged to four different organizations.
- On Dec. 15, the Mets designated Germen for assignment to clear a 40-man roster spot for OFJohn Mayberry Jr.
- On Dec. 19, the Yankees acquired Germen from the Mets for cash.
- On Jan. 13, the Yankees acquired RHP Chris Martin from the Colorado Rockies for cash and designated Germen for assignment.
- On Jan. 20, the Texas Rangers acquired Germen from the Yankees for cash.
- The very next day, the Rangers designated Germen for assignment and on Jan. 23, the Chicago Cubs claimed him off waivers.
- On Feb. 4, the Cubs claimed LHP Drake Britton off waivers from the Boston Red Sox and designated Germen for assignment.
- On Friday, Feb. 13, Germen cleared waivers and was assigned outright to the Iowa Cubs.
Germen is back in the minor leagues, but at least he knows where to report for spring training.
Finally, the Los Angeles Dodgers announced their full lineup of bobblehead giveways for 2015 on Friday. Joining people like Vin Scully, Sandy Koufax, Clayton Kershaw and Fernando Valenzuela in this year’s series is former Mets infielder Justin Turner.
Who would have guessed that could happen? And more importantly, does anyone know how I can get one? 😆
3 thoughts on “Ex-Mets update”
Paul Geof Hollenbeck, from San Diego…the Justin Turner bobblehead won’t be given away ’til SEPT. 1 vs. the Giants (that’s like half-a-lifetime from now). Let’s just keep in touch about it; either I will go (up) to the game myself (ah, retired life and the ability to go where I want, when I want), or buy tix and have my daughter and her boyfriend go (she lives in Pasadena, very close to Dodger Stadium), or…..we’ll figure something out!
Thanks – I’ll keep in touch. I agree, September feels like ages from now – I’m not really ready to make plans for April yet.
try eBay for the Turner bobblehead
Comments are closed.