Happy New Year! With 2014 officially behind us, we are that much closer to Opening Day.
A few years ago, I resolved to stop making New Year’s resolutions. It’s the only one I’ve managed to keep.
But I will offer up a few goals for 2015:
Writing – I want to write something here at RandomBaseballStuff.com at least once a week during 2015. I’m not going to try to be a baseball card blog, or a Mets blog, or a minor league baseball blog as I have at various times in the past (though I’m sure all of those topics will come up from time to time.) Instead, I’m going to pick one thing (related to baseball) that interests me each week and write about it… hopefully, whatever topics I choose will also interest some of you. At the very least, I’ll be true to my blog title.
Baseball – In the past, I’ve set goals of visiting new ballparks or attending particular events. I’d like to do that this year, but they wouldn’t be very realistic. Instead, I’m going to aim to attend at least one Mets game at Citi Field and see the Binghamton Mets play at least one game in Trenton. If I’m able to go to more games, travel, or see other ballparks in the New Jersey or New York metropolitan area, that will be a bonus.
Collecting – I plan to put together the 2015 Topps and 2015 Topps Heritage Mets team sets, and pick up the 2015 team sets of the Las Vegas 51s, Binghamton Mets, St. Lucie Mets, Savannah Sand Gnats, Brooklyn Cyclones, Kingsport Mets (if they make one) and Trenton Thunder. I hope to add a few autographed baseball cards to my Mets autograph collection. If I can do more, that will also be a bonus – but these are my priorities.
Happy new year! I hope that 2009 turns out to be a great one.
Here’s a shot from my back window on the first morning of 2009. The sun is shining and the snow has melted (we’ll just overlook the temperature — 25 degrees, with a wind chill that makes it feel like 12). It’s a shot looking out on a much brighter day than the one I took on Christmas Eve. I’m hoping it’s a good sign for the year to come. 🙂
Since it’s New Year’s Day, I thought I’d share a few of my hobby-related resolutions for 2009:
1) Organize my collection, and try to remove some of the clutter (easier said than done… especially for a person that has a hard time throwing anything away.)
2) Stop wasting money on packs & blasters of products I really have no intention of collecting. (Should be easy, right?)
3) Before the end of 2009, add 100 more former Mets to my autograph collection. As the year starts, I have signatures from 565 of 848 Mets players. (I’d really like Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan and Jerry Koosman to be among the group that I add.)
4) See a game in at least one stadium that I haven’t been to before. (CitiField is probably not going to be it, but you never know. I’m thinking this might finally be the year I go see KeySpan Park in Brooklyn.)
5) Continue to have fun and share my favorite parts of my collection with all the wonderful people who take time out of their day to read this blog. (This is probably the one that I have the best chance of keeping. 😉 )
In a few hours, 2009 will be here. We can look forward to the new baseball season, and the hope that a new year will bring new fortunes for our favorite teams. We can hope that this year, the card companies will finally come to their senses and produce our perfect set. And we can hope that this will be the year that we finally track down that elusive item for our collections.
But first, I want to take a few minutes to look back at some of my favorite memories from 2008.